After School Program FAQ’s
DSU is licensed through the MA Early Education and Care. All students in our care must be properly registered with parent, guardian, health, code of conduct and transportation information provided. Please do not send your child until all forms (including doctors notes & epipens) and payments are received. All forms and payments must be received by August 27th in order for students to start August 30th. If forms/payments are received after August 27th, the student may start the week of September 5th.
Please select your days carefully. Due to EEC ratio requirements, we cannot guarantee changes to schedules. We try to accommodate families changing needs, if possible. If not, you will be put on a wait list for your desired days and notified if/when it becomes available.
The Blender Cafe offers a selection of healthy after school snacks for sale starting at 3pm for Middle School & High School students and at 3:30pm for Alden Students. Menu items range from $1-$3 and include Skinny Popcorn, Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches, seltzers, nachos and My Little Bakery Grilled cheese. Students can also bring snacks of their own for some late afternoon fuel. Alden students are provided with a snack when they arrive at 2:10pm. Email us your recipes or favorite snacks and we’ll get them on the shopping list.
Our goal is for all students to complete homework and feel organized about upcoming deadlines at DSU so their evenings are free for activities, family time and “me time”.
The level of homework will ramp up quickly. Generally we have found 3rd graders can complete homework in about 30 minutes and 4th/5th graders are needing 45-60 minutes to complete their work. All students are required to do a minimum of 20 minutes of reading per day. Please remind your student to bring in their AR book or some reading material if they do not have homework. DSU staff will sign off in their agendas on work that is completed at DSU.
Having a cell phone at Alden is a family decision but DSU should not be a reason. All Alden students are supervised from the Alden lobby to the end of their DSU day. They are welcome to use the DSU phone in the event of an emergency and you can call 781 934 2290 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if your scheduled plans change.
DSU prides itself on being the big backyard where students can enjoy old school “face to face” interactions, such as creative play, outdoor games and learn important social skills. Electronic devices tend to be antisocial and even isolating to those in their company.
Our goal is for DSU students to meet lots of new friends of different ages. We want your child to engage, enjoy play time, meet new friends and feel comfortable here. For this reason, please leave all electronic devices at home. If your child must connect with you, please let us know.
1. Please notify Alden School with permanent pick up arrangements on the days your child is scheduled at DSU. Please notify DSU at email@example.com if your child’s schedule changes due to start of school, vacation or illness.
2. All Alden students are picked up by DSU staff in the Alden/PAC lobby outside the Alden cafeteria. No students walk on their own unless we have prior parental permission.
3. When all students are checked in at Alden, we walk to DSU together.
4. We enjoy a snack, meet some new friends and learn about life at DSU. If you have special snack suggestions, send them our way!
5. All students participate in a minimum of 30 minutes of physical activity including field games, wacky relays, yoga and much more.
6. All students spend a minimum of 30 minutes in our academic center. The goal is to get homework done or read so evenings are free for activities, family time and “ME time”. After an exciting first day, our students are going to need some ME time!
7. If you need to reach our staff to relay a message to your child, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 781.934.2290. Email is best. Your child does not need a cell phone. We’ve found it creates more anxiety when you don’t respond right away.
8. Parents or guardians can pick up at anytime up till 5pm or later if the student is registered till 6pm. Please be patient as we get to know you. Please present your drivers license on arrival for the first two weeks.
9. Email email@example.com if you have any questions. We want to hear how we can make your child’s transition to life at DSU as smooth as possible.