04 Aug Job Title: Recreation Counselor
About the Duxbury Student Union
Since September 2006, the DSU has been the on-campus youth center servicing youth after school, evenings, weekends and for special events. Working at the DSU is much more than a job. Its mission is to provide big world opportunities that inspire youth to view the world around them, make meaningful friendships and contributions that go beyond themselves.
The Recreation Counselor energizes and engages up to 13 students in grades 3 through 8 in innovative afterschool activities, camp days, and special events. Responsible for supervising after school programs, Monday through Friday, 1:30pm to 5:00pm (sometimes 6:00pm) and camp days typically 10:00am-5:00pm. There are also opportunities for additional hours on evenings and weekends. DSU is without a doubt, the last place for backyard daily fun, with countless skills learned from free play. DSU Recreation Counselors are outstanding in their own lives, with athletics and outdoor pursuits ranking high in their daily lives. The Recreation Counselor reports to the After School Program Coordinator & Executive Director and/or Operations Manager.
- Supervises third to eighth grade students in activities and special events.
- Creates recreational model that evokes organization, teamwork & time management, problem solving strategies and life skills.
- Communicates positively with staff, students and parents.
- Identifies youth mentors to inspire all types of participants.
- Encourage students to put forth their best effort.
- Brainstorms events and weekly program ideas and executes them.
- Performs administrative & end of day tasks daily and duties as assigned.
- Facilitates outside & inside games & activities with a group of 13 children.
- Can use technology and other resources to bring interactivity to backyard games.
- Previous experience working with youth in small and large groups (sports, creative arts, outdoor pursuits, music, etc.)
- Team Player with collaborative/innovative spirit
- College or High school graduate. Pay commensurate with education and experience.
- Must pass Background Records Check and EEC Training
- CPR and First Aid certified.
Three to five shifts are available weekly. Position starts Tuesday August 30th 2016.
Duxbury Student Union is an equal employment opportunity employer who values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people.